http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APAMYUyc390&feature=related

Monday, January 22, 2007

The List

Poor little Princess P has a cold, it's sad to watch her struggling with a snotty nose and delicate little cough. We took her to the doctor on Saturday and she said that actually baby is doing really well - no fever, no ear infections, etc. Colds are just a fact of life. She is snoozing now so I actually have some time to update the blog so here goes.

I am taking some college courses this semester, nearly 10 years after the last college course I had taken and...GULP!...16 years since I was a regular student. As I prepare to go to my first class this week, I took out some blank notebooks and sharpened my pencils. As it turns out, one of the notebooks wasn't as blank as I expected.

I found four pages of lists within the book...all things in preparation for baby. Lists made late last spring based on books and advice from friends. Lists of things to buy, lists of things to be aware of, lists of medical information, lists of resources...having been a nanny and a babysitter over the years, I believed I had a handle on the who gamet.

So, today I am assessing these lists and I find that generally I was right on track. That said, I have come up with a new top ten list that I will add to the myriad of advice that people throw at new, first time mothers-to-be, here goes:

Mama MoonPie's Top Ten List for New Motherhood:

(1)Investing in a GREAT stroller - that you can click the car seat into, that adjusts to be a pram or a traditional stroller for an older baby - is absolutely worth it. (Granted, I was fortunate to receive my stroller as a gift from my dad but I was willing to and planning to buy it myself if he hadn't.)

(2) Kimono style onsies...not just for the newborn phase! I got a few of these for when she was brand new so that I didn't have to pull anything over her fragile head. Now that she is a little older, I find that the wrap around styling avoids having to drag the onsie back over her head after a diaper "blow-out" or a "urp-up."

(3) Trumpette Socks - really cute socks that look like Mary Janes with colored socks, makes baby look like she is wearing a real outfit.

(4)Cloth Diapers - for burp rags, for breastfeeding clean up, for tucking over the babies head when it is colder out that you thought. I already have the canine equivalent of these - I buy those stacks of white washclothes in bulk from Costco to wipe up drippy mastiff jowls after a drink of water, when cookies are in sight, to mop the floor, to wipe muddy paws. Both of my girls seem to make a variety of messes that these two white cloths seem to control.

(5) Medela Breast Pads not Avent. They are thinner and much more absorbent.

(6) On that same tangent - Victoria's Secret Body bras - the T-shirt bra style - are much better than any nursing bras I tried. They hold your breasts and the breast pads better and more discretely and...the molded cup pops right back in shape after you move it to nurse.

(7) Kiehls Massage Lotion during your pregancy!!! I have NO STRETCH MARKS, not one, not even a tiny one.

(8)Packing for the hospital - your own lightweight bathrobe, your own shampoo and conditioner, your own pillow, fuzzy socks and your cell phone with its charger...nothing more...you won't use it, or you won't want to use it. Oh, yeah, an outfit for baby to go home in and/or for pictures and some nice cozy velour sweats for yourself for the ride home.

(9) The white noise machine works well for dogs and husband-like-people but may or may not help baby.

(10) At least in the first three months (will tell you more once she is older) - it is worth investing in name brand diapers. We are VERY happy with our Pampers Swaddlers, Pampers Sensitive Wipes and you have GOT TO GET Dr. Bordeaux's Butt Paste my daughter is the queen of rashes but NOT diaper rash. That stuff is a miracle.

I am sure I will think of more things later but those are the top ten...not actually in order of importance.

Cheers!

Oh...and have a glass of wine when you want one...not six glasses but one...it helps!

No comments:

Bubbles and a Book

Laundry

Moo and Pi

Tea time for the girls!

Slide on down!

Booger Nose!

Strolling in the Park

P2's new kitchen

Go the right way!

Such a big girl now!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Mooshy's 5th Birthday

counter customizable free hit
persephone
piper